In 1620, when the Counts Khiessl gained ownership of the castle, they converted it to the nobleman’s residential architecture. At that time the Loretto chapel was added to the castle and the Knights’ Hall was constructed. After 1727, the new owners, Counts Brandis, built the new staircase, reconstructed the first floor of the bastion and completed construction of the Knights’ Hall. With the construction of the present day street Grajska ulica in the year 1871 the castle complex was cut in half. The municipality of Maribor bought the castle in 1933 and in 1938 the Maribor Regional Museum moved its collections in.
In modern workshops, using a variety of research, procedures and materials, we conserve and restore mostly wooden (furniture, artificial crafts and ethnological artefacts), metal and ceramic materials (archaeological, ethnological and artificial craft objects, historical weapons and numismatics) and occasionally objects made of other materials (stone, glass, porcelain, leather, textiles). We control the microclimate in our storage facilities and showrooms by using preventive methods of conservation.